Thursday, April 3, 2008

In Camera Metering

Q. hey! saw your video on flash photography tricks ...thanks as it gave me very good fundamental knowledge about few camera modes...i was going through my camera functions and wonder see evaluative, center weighted and spot modes... could you please tell me what's this? thanks

A. Evaluative metering takes an average light reading of everything in the viewfinder, center weighted metering takes a light reading of objects in the center circle you see in the viewfinder and spot metering takes a light reading where you place the "spot". Spot metering is good for subjects you can't get up close to...I don't think it's as accurate as a hand held meter but non-the-less it can be helpful and I recommend using spot metering for high contrast scenes when the subject is in shadow. I would use evaluative metering for scenes with even light where the range between hightlight and shadow is minimum.

Photo Chick

No comments: